Shipping Supervisor Job Description:
• The job purpose of the Supervisor is to supervise staff, processes, and procedures in the shipping and receiving department, keep appropriate records, ensure accurate shipments, and oversee all inflow/outflow of products and materials.
• Coordinate and provide supervision, training, scheduling, and guidance to shipping personnel and truckers.
• Review job documents and drawings to determine hardware requirements and additional items required for shipping.
• Track deadlines and dates accurately and effectively.
• Respond proactively to worker performance concerns, discipline, employee complaints, and other employee relations matters.
• Prepare bills of lading/packing lists for shipment.
• Use optimal transportation modes to ensure the cost effectiveness of the delivery function, including the control of labour utilization – preventing excess hours, downtime and overtime, and efficient usage of transportation related equipment
• Maintain reports, process documentation, and customer service logs.
• Determine routing and legal load limits of trucks, according to established schedules and local weight limits and regulations.
• Coordinate shipping/receiving function with the Shop Foremen, Scheduler, Purchaser, and other personnel.
• Implement specific customer requirements, such as internal reporting or customized transportation metrics.
• Complete US/Canada shipment orders with all related customs paperwork.
• Resolve problems concerning transportation, logistics systems, or other customer issues
• Seek out and complete extra tasks when regular job is slow
• Follow Safe Work Policies, Practices, and Procedures while performing all tasks
• Handle hazardous materials safely
• Obtain and implement proper truck permits when required.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management
Education and/or Experience:
• High School Diploma, or GED
• Previous supervisory experience is an asset
• Previous shipping experience is an asset
• Forklift experience is an asset
• Valid driver’s license
Other Skills and Qualifications:
• Organization skills
• Documentation skills
• Mechanical aptitude
• Operating equipment
• Operating powered and hand tools
• Reading skills for manuals, instructions, etc.
• Working in awkward positions such as squatting and kneeling
• Climbing and balancing
• Lifting/Carrying of 50lbs
• Work inside and outside in both heat and cold, in all types of weather
• Work in noisy environments, work with vibrating tools or equipment
• Need to be reasonably fit and agile
Job type: Full-time